Monday 26 December 2011

The detail

I often read of how other nature photographers styles have changed over time, evolving as they begin to see nature in different ways or their messages shift. For me, I know my style is undergoing a pretty major change. Whereas a year or two ago I was just into trying to capture big vistas with wide lenses, Im now looking more and more at the detail. Im still up for those big dramatic landscapes when the situation arises, but good quality dawn/dusk light is such a rare commodity in the centre and by looking at whats right in front of me or at my feet, Im able to shoot in a wider range of conditions and all sorts of lighting.

These next couple of photos were taken in Ormiston Gorge, late in the afternoon. The first shot is a closeup of stones in the creekbed and this is something I'll continue to experiment with. Im not satisfied with this shot but I love the textures and colours of stone in the gorge and there's unlimited potential for different compositions.


The next shot was taken at Ormiston waterhole and, as above, was shot in complete shade. What I think makes it work is the incredible folding geology and texture. I think the plant and water give it some balance and sense of scale. It would probably be neater if the water was completely calm though so I'll probably try it again. 


The next day I headed to redbank gorge. This is a real 'slot canyon' with awesome refracted light at different times of the day. Unfortunately you need to swim through a very deep waterhole to get up the gorge and I didn't have any waterproof protection for my camera gear. Over the next couple of weeks I'll head back up with a pelican case and a bodyboard.

I was hoping there'd be some rock-wallabies hanging around the cliff out the front of the gorge but in the heat of the day they were probably in deeper shade. Instead I took this photo of a ghost gum on the cliff out the front of the gorge.






 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home