Friday 30 December 2011

Occupation

The MacDonnell Ranges have a history of Aboriginal occupation which probably spans tens of thousands of years. However, unlike some other parts of upland central Australia, rock-art is not prolific. One exception to this can be found at the infrequently visited Roma Gorge, in the southern part of the park. The sandstone geology in this area is apparently well suited to engraving and the boulders in the creekline are adorned with petroglyphs. Visitors are only allowed in the front part of the gorge and this is where I shot these photos. I took them mid afternoon and this forced me to shoot in shadow. I think I'll return on an overcast day so I can shoot out in the open more without having to deal with the extreme contrast.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home