Sunday 4 March 2012

Just add water

Finally, the creeks and rivers of central Australia have flowed! I headed out to the West Macs over the weekend to make the most of it. It looks as though the wet weather may continue for the remainder of this month so hopefully I'll be able to realise more of the creek and waterfall shots Ive been planning.

I recently purchased my first graduated neutral density (GND) filter and have been loving it! Even though many photographers are now relying on manual high dynamic range techniques (such as luminosity masks), using the filters correctly means a lot less work in front of the computer. Also, for many photography competitions (including the prestigious Veola wildlife photographer of the year) you are simply not permitted to apply such techniques. I just wish I'd started using them earlier.

I took this photo below the main waterhole at Ormiston Gorge on dusk. There was just enough light for me to focus and compose the image. Its the kind of shot that could be anywhere outside of central Australia, until you see the red gums and cliffs in the background.

Canon 5D mkII, ISO 100, 17-40mm f4 @ f22, 25 sec exposure, 2-stop GND filter (to hold back the 'misty' white look in the foreground), tripod

This is a shot Ive been pre-visualising for a while and is a good demonstration of the value of GND filters. It was taken in Ormiston Gorge with the big red cliffs bathed in light from sunrise and the creek and gorge floor in shadow. I positioned the dark part of the filter over the cliffs and sky to hold back the brightness and this resulted in an image with a reasonably well balanced exposure. Apart from some minor sharpening, I didn't touch this image at all, though I may try and lighten the foreground just a little for the final version. 

Canon 5D mkII, 17-40mm f4 @ f18, 1/2 sec exposure, 2-stop GND filter, tripod

I took this last photo in Redbank Gorge. Unfortunately, we didn't time our visit well so the light was way too contrasty. Im pretty keen to head back a couple of hours before or after midday when the indirect light refracts off the walls a little. I used a polarising filter to try cut down on the glare. This place has so much potential for amazing photos, stay tuned!

 Canon 5D mkII, 17-40mm f4 @ f11, polarising filter, tripod

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home